If you’re looking for the perfect taste of fall, you absolutely must try this Apple Pumpkin Muffins Recipe. These delightful bites are topped with a sweet streusel topping that will knock your socks off!
The other day I attended a fun back-to-school brunch hosted by a friend in my neighborhood. Her house was filled with moms celebrating the end of a long, hot summer, along with a delicious brunchy bites spread as far as the eye could see (not lying her kitchen really is that big).
I considered bringing a savory breakfast overnight casserole or this hearty bacon, potato and leek breakfast bake, but in the end I made this apple pumpkin muffins recipe. This recipe could have easily fit in with this delicious list of pumpkin breakfast recipes and I will definitely be adding it to the list.
Apple Pumpkin Muffins with Streusel Topping
I have to be honest, this time of year is when I have to be most careful about packing on the pounds. I am a sucker for baked goods. It’s rare that I heat up the oven in the summer (unless it’s for this amazing salted caramel chocolate chip cookie recipe), but in the fall peaches, apples and pumpkins are all in abundance and all I want to do is bake, bake, bake!
I make enough fall-flavored desserts that when I decided to make muffins for the brunch (i.e. dessert for breakfast), I knew I needed to go in a healthier direction. This apple pumpkin muffin recipe is a bit “healthier” than some. I’ve used pumpkin in place of added oil and substituted wheat flour in place of white. I can’t say that those substitutions make up for the fact that I’ve eaten two apple pumpkin muffins in two hours, but I feel a bit less guilty than I may have otherwise.
Though I feel better about savoring one of these delicious muffins, it’s not the healthier substitutions that I enjoy the most. It’s how simple they are to throw together. The most difficult part of the recipe is preparing the apples. Trust me when I tell you that the chunky pieces of apple loaded into every bite are worth the few minutes it takes to peel and chop them up.
Apple Pumpkin Muffins Recipe
You’re going to love this remarkably easy apple pumpkin muffin recipe.
Apple Pumpkin Muffins Recipe with Streusel Topping
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cups sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin
- 2 cups peeled chopped apples
For the streusel topping
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/ c cup sugar
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 5 Tbsp. cubed butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place 18 paper liners in a muffin tin and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt.
- In a smaller bowl mix eggs and pumpkin together. Stir into dry ingredients until full bowl of batter is moist.
- Fold in peeled, chopped apples.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups about three-fourths the way full.
For the streusel topping
- Combine flour, sugar and cinnamon. Cut in butter until topping resembles course crumbs.
- Sprinkle topping over each muffin.
- Bake muffins at 305 degrees for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.