Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day or just enjoy a little Irish cooking with this Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage recipe.
This post contains affiliate links.
I had my boyfriends parents over for dinner the other day. I. KNOW. So obviously I decided to show off by cooking a recipe I’d never made before…I. KNOW. Who does that?! The margin of error? YUGE. Fortunately, this recipe turned out amazingly well and everyone loved the meal.
My boyfriend is the best. He loves everything I make, but honestly? I don’t. I have to love a recipe for it to make the blog. I had my doubts about this one…I mean, come on, cabbage doesn’t even usually look that great. BUT, I cleaned my plate and loved every bite!
You could easily make this recipe in the oven or even in a slow cooker, but I am in love with my Instant Pot. It’s the best thing that ever happened to dinners in my house.
Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage
I’ve been playing around with my Instant Pot for a few months now, experimenting with some of my favorite recipes. I had to dig deep for this one. Since I have never made corned beef and cabbage, I had to adapt a recipe. I turned to a 40+ year old church cookbook (that I probably stole from my Mom) for this one. Traditional recipes are typically pretty simple and this one was no exception.
This time of year it’s pretty easy to find corned beef and cabbage at the grocery store. The cabbage is inexpensive, about 58-cents a piece, which is great considering the corned beef runs a bit higher. I picked up two cabbages – one green and one purple. I didn’t NEED that much cabbage, but the color!!! I also grabbed some onions, baby carrots and a small bag of tiny potatoes.
This recipe was totally a “set it and forget it.” It took under three minutes to pour some beef broth and corned beef into the pan with a quartered onion and some garlic. Once it was all in the pot, I simply set the timer and left it to cook for 60 minutes.
Once the cooking cycle was complete, I did a quick release and added the carrots and potatoes. I set the pot for another six minutes and then hit another quick release.
The last step is to steam the cabbage. I placed it in the pot and set it to warm until I was ready to plate the dish.
Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage
- 3 pound corned beef brisket with seasoning packet
- 20 small potatoes I like to use a mix of red and white
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1 white onion quartered
- 4 gloves garlic smashed
- 1 head cabbage two if you'd like more color
- 32 ounces beef broth
- *If your corned beef doesn't come with a spice packet purchase bay leaves cloves, peppercorn, coriander and allspice. Season to taste.
- 1. Pour beef broth into stainless steel Instant Pot insert. Add quartered white onion and smashed garlic gloves.
- 2. Rinse corned beef off to clear excess salt.
- 3. Spice meat with provided spice packet and place corned beef into Instant Pot. It should be nearly covered by the beef broth. Set Instant Pot to manual high pressure for 60 minutes. When the timer sounds, allow pressure to release naturally (or use natural release for 10 minutes and then carefully select quick release).
- 4. When the pressure valve drops, open Instant Pot and add potatoes and carrots. Lock lid back in palace and set the timer for six minutes. When the timer sounds use the quick release setting to release additional pressure.
- 5. Add quarters or lightly shredded cabbage to the pot, lock the lids and allow to steam until you're ready to plate and serve.
I served the Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage with horseradish, which tasted AMAZING. We also had a simple kale salad and some soft, crumbly Irish Soda Bread. I can’t wait to share the recipe for this bread with you. It’s coming next week!