Looking for a fun way to celebrate Valentine’s Day this year? Don’t miss this super-fun, scratch card Valentine Advent Calendar. Duck Brand sponsored this post. All opinions are mine alone.
This time of year my house starts to look a bit like a warehouse. With Snap Conference right around the corner, boxes are constantly coming and going and I am on a first name basis with both the FedEx and the UPS drivers that serve my neighborhood.
The challenge? I am in and out and occasionally boxes end up out on the porch for longer than I’d like. In the weather, this is a problem. Soggy boxes + weak tape = one hot mess. Needless to say, I have quite the stash of packing tape ready to go should the need arise. As with many other things, good tape makes a huge difference. I’ve found the best bang for my buck over at my local Sam’s Club location (You can grab a DuckMax Strength Packaging Tape eight-pack for $20!).
You guys, this stuff is no joke. It’s extra-thick and about 100x stronger than regular acrylic tapes. Since I’ve stock piled a bunch of the stuff, it’s no surprise that I’ve found other uses for it…I’ve been using it as I organize the storage in my basement and I’ve been sneaking it into some of my craft projects. I used it on my Winter Wonderland Fur Wreath and today, I am going to show you a super-fun Valentine’s project.
Valentine Advent Calendar
I first saw this idea over at My Sister’s Suitcase (one of my favorite blogs!). They’ve made an adorable service-based advent that is perfect for kids. If you’ve got kids of your own, this project is an absolute must!
I love service and
most of the time I love kids, but I REALLY love my boyfriend Jay. He’s AMAZING (like Spider Man). This is our second Valentine’s Day together and this year I really wanted to do something different. I’ve created a fun 14-day Valentine advent calendar that showcases all the ways he’s special.
To recreate this Valentine Advent Calendar you will need:
Print + Cut Valentine Advent Cards Red or Black and White
DuckMax StrengthPackaging Tape (Grab it at your local Sam’s Club on the office supply isle.)
Optional: Minc Foil Applicator and Foil
- Download the print and cut Valentine Advent Calendar file (see supply list above for download link).
- Open the PDF and send it to your home color printer or take it to a professional print shop. I printed mine in black and white on a copy machine so that I could foil them later.
- Trim the individual cards to size using a paper trimmer.
- Write love sentiments, service ideas or activities inside the circle on the card.
- Cover your sentiments with a bit of DuckMax packing tape. Careful, the professional hot melt adhesive provides an instant stick and you can’t move it!
- Mix the paint and dish soap (two parts paint, one part dish soap) and paint on the card over the packaging tape. Fill the entire circle! You will need multiple coats to achieve an opaque result. Let paint dry in between coats. I needed two coats to cover my sentiments.
- String up your cards using baker’s twine/ribbon and clothes pins to hang. I used little red clothes pins from the craft store so that we could take the card down and place the card on the counter for scratching.
I made a 14-day advent so I could show you the project with time to spare, but seven days works perfectly. Here’s a peak at what the cards look like once they’ve been scratched.
Duck has been a sponsor at Snap many times in the past and I am always looking to buy from brands that I know and love! I have stock piled a bunch of this tape (because DEAL) so I am sure it will be making additional appearances on the blog.
If you liked this post, you might also like…