This savory Strawberry Basil Bruschetta recipe is a quick fix for last-minute summer gatherings, or elaborate events.
A couple of weeks ago, we received an invitation to participate in an “Amazing Race” style scavenger hunt with other couples from our neighborhood. Deciding to participate was a no brainer. I love the Amazing Race and I simply adore a fun party. The harder decision deciding whether to bring an appetizer or a dessert. Rather than commit to one or the other, I headed for middle ground with this savory Strawberry Basil Bruschetta recipe.
Balsamic vinegar is great on it’s own or with a traditional tomato-based bruschetta, but I love it even more when paired with fruit – especially strawberries.
Strawberry Basil Bruschetta
To ensure that your strawberries absorb the flavor of the balsamic vinegar and release their juice properly, you’ll want to start your prep with the strawberry topping.
I am not big on kitchen gadgets, but I do love my strawberry huller. I picked it up at the grocery store a couple of years ago, but you can purchase it on Amazon for an even better deal (especially if you have Prime).
Like a traditional bruschetta dish, this one calls for a bit of basil. I like to snip up fresh basil using kitchen sheers, but you can just as easily tear the leaves into bits by hand.
Basil is a fantastic compliment to strawberries and helps strike a balance between sweet and savory, but the pop of green provides nice color as well.
Once I’d cut up the strawberries and basil, I added a bit of EVOO and balsamic vinegar.
Mix and leave the berries out at room temperature.
The base of the bruschetta is made with a sliced french baguette.
I lightly buttered each slice before toasting them for a few minutes in the oven.
The warm bread makes it easy to evenly spread the soft cheese. I used a mild chevre goat cheese. It’s got a bit of a tang, which adds to the savory flavor of the dish. Some people like to compare goat cheese to feta. I think it’s similar, though the texture is much more creamy.
Once the cheese is spread, top your pieces with the strawberry basil topping.
The cheese helps contain the berries and combined, looks lovely. Don’t you think? This strawberry basil bruschetta makes for a lovely addition to the table and is the perfect savory/sweet bite.
Strawberry Basil Bruschetta
- French Baguette
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 2 cups Mild Chevre Goat Cheese
- 2 cups Sliced Strawberries
- 1/4 cup Shredded Basil
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- Slice 2 cups of strawberries and place in a medium bowl. Add the shredded basil, EVOO and balsamic vinegar and give the berries a light toss. Let the strawberry topping sit at room temperature until they release their juiced. You want the berries to be softer, but not mushy.
- Turn oven to broil and heat.
- Slice French baguette into approximately 24 even slices and place on baking sheet. Lightly butter each slice and place in oven for about two minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Spread goat cheese on each baguette slice and then top with strawberry topping.
Looking for more great strawberry recipes? Don’t miss these yummy bites!