Looking for an inexpensive way to decorate your home this February? Celebrate with this easy DIY washi tape Valentine’s Day decor.
I’ve been a bit quiet on social media the last few weeks. No. Nothing is wrong (thanks to those of you who’ve checked in though!). I am simply purging and organizing like a mad woman and I’ve got no time to chit chat. Ha!
This week I’ve been working on my craft room and home office. As I go through each item, I’ve been asking myself if it brings me joy (thanks, Marie Kondo). It’s a tactic that’s worked in the kitchen, laundry room and even my bedroom, but my craft room? Well, there are a lot of things that spark joy in there! I’m having a hard time clearing the space out.
Since I am keeping
more than I’d hoped all the things, I’ve moved to a different tactic. I am forcing myself to “make” with items I already have in the house, rather than running to the craft store every week. While the items I’ve pulled together for the washi tape Valentine’s Day decor project I am sharing today are inexpensive, I pulled them all from my stash hoard. Yay me!
Today I am joined by five friends who are also sharing Valentine’s Day crafts made with scrapbook paper, washi tape and ribbon. Hopefully they were able to pull from their collection of craft goodies too! Here’s a little preview of the other projects…
Direct links to each Valentine’s Day washi tape project can be found at the bottom of my post.
DIY Washi Tape Valentine’s Day Decor
I’ve decided washi tape is the best craft supply to hoard. It’s small, individual rolls are relatively inexpensive and it looks so pretty on display in storage jars. You can check out my washi tape display, as well as the other items I have on hand, in my craft room tour.
Some of the washi tape I’ve used in today’s project are Valentine’s Day themed, but much of it is simply basic tape in bright colors.
What you will need to recreate this washi tape Valentine’s Day decor:
I challenge you to pull from your own stash as you recreate this fun washi tape Valentine’s decor art, but I have provided a direct affiliate link wherever possible so that you can easily shop and create.
- Frame (I used this inexpensive 10×10 frame from Ikea)
- American Crafts White Textured Cardstock
- Washi Tape (I love this collection and this glitter one too! They’re both part of my hoard.)
- Baker’s Twine
- Pink Le Pen Marker
- American Crafts Adhesive Foam Tabs
- Optional: Cricut Electronic Cutting Machine
How to recreate this washi tape Valentine’s Day decor:
- Select a square shadow box. I like to buy the Ikea Ribba frames. I hate to admit it, but I actually do have a “stash” of these frames in my home. ?????
- Cut a piece of white, textured cardstock to match the size of the frame. For reference, my Ribba frame is 9″x9.”
- Place the sized cardstock on a flat surface. Tear pieces of washi tape and place on the cardstock, directly adjacent to one another. This project looks best if the edges of the tape are rough and each piece is a different length – you can’t mess it up!
- Using a Cricut machine, create your heart box. Cut a basic heart out on a piece of white, textured cardstock. The heart I cut out is about 3.5″. The entire square is 4″.
Note: If you don’t have a Cricut, use a craft punch like this one or even a template and a pair of scissors.
- Optional: On the bottom right corner of the heart square, write a sentiment. I wrote the word love using a pink Le Pen.
- Wrap some baker’s twine around the right side of the heart and tie.
- Mount the heart square onto the washi tape using foam tabs. I wanted a lot of dimension so I actually stacked two tabs in each corner, before pressing it firmly to the washi tape surface.
- Place the washi tape Valentine’s Day artwork in the frame and secure for display.
This DIY washi tape Valentine’s Day decor project only took about 20 minutes and I love the way it turned out. It’s the perfect accent piece for my dining room cabinet shelves.