It was a sad, sad day when I discovered ice cream triggered my migraines. I grew up where three scoops of ice cream after dinner was as reliable as the sun setting. A life without ice cream seemed pretty grim. But alas, I’m not a quitter. I love food and dessert way too much to forever say farewell to ice cream and one of my favorite treats. Ice cream sandwiches. These homemade ice cream sandwiches are sugar free, gluten free, dairy free, and delicious-full. Sit back, kick up your feet, and indulge.
There are a couple surprising ingredients in these ice cream sandwiches. Ready? Garbanzo beans in the cookies and frozen bananas in the ice cream. Don’t judge before you try them. Garbanzo beans have a very mild flavor and create a chewy, soft base for my Chocolate Cookies, Crunchy Peanut Butter Cookies, and Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies. I’m beyond addicted. My husband knows to quickly grab a couple freshly baked because I feel no remorse for engulfing the entire batch. My latest record: 2 dozen in 24 hours.
And for the ice cream… who knew frozen bananas created smooth, creamy vanilla-like ice cream?
In order to make these delightfully splendid homemade ice cream sandwiches, you’ll need a quality blender. Myself? I’m a VitaMix woman. It’s an exquisite machine. It has a tamper that helps break up air pockets and push contents down making blending super easy. I use it every. single. day. However, I don’t want to discriminate. Many are fans of the Ninja and BlendTec. Whichever way you choose…reward yourself by making these treats first.
If you can make something delicious and healthy, why not? No diet can do what healthy living does. It’s time to skip the diet and live healthy. Come join my next 6 week Game-On Health Challenge or my 21 Day Mystery Health Challenge. Last round I had one couple lose 26 pounds together. I have helped hundreds kick unhealthy habits like daily Diet Coke. And guess what? They keep coming back for more! They love feeling healthy and want more. Come play! I’ll take good care of you.
Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 3 bananas, peeled and frozen
- 1/2 cup vanilla almond or vanilla coconut milk
- Choose a cookie: Chocolate Cookies, Crunchy Peanut Butter Cookies, or Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies
- Peel 3 bananas, place in freezer ziplock bag, and put in freezer for at least 4 to 6 hours until bananas are frozen.
- Meanwhile, prepare your cookie of choice! Allow cookies to completely cool prior to assembling your ice cream sandwiches.
- In a quality blender, add milk and frozen bananas. Blend until smooth.
- Place a sheet of wax or parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Place 6 to 8 cookies about 2 inches apart bottoms up. Scoop about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of your ice cream on the center of each. Immediately place sheet in freezer for another hour and then top with another cookie. Freeze for additional hour and enjoy!
- Store in ziplock bag in freezer. For best results, enjoy the ice cream sandwiches within a week.