I love New Year resolutions especially the healthy ones. However, why do people feel they need to starve or deprive themselves in order to eat healthy? It’s a lie! Healthy eating can be fulfilling, satisfying, and indulging. Trust me… I love food and eating WAY too much to torture myself with flavorless eats. Also, go ahead and snack! If you’re hungry (legitimately hungry not bored), eat away! I eat frequently throughout the day and never waste time with counting calories because I choose to eat nutrition packed options like this Edamame Hummus.
Deliciously flavored ground up garbanzo beans, otherwise known as hummus, are becoming more and more popular. It’s a great dip for veggies and chips or fabulous as a spread on sandwiches. Traditional hummus calls for tahini which is ground sesame seeds. I’m actually not a huge fan of the flavor… so I make my hummus without it. My Basic Hummus recipe also does not have tahini.
Since we’re talking about hummus ingredients, I’ve got to share my obsession with garbanzo beans! If you want to become addicted to some guiltless, gluten-free cookies, try my Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip or my Flourless Chocolate Cookies. These are cookies you’ll be encouraging your kids to eat since they are crammed with protein and fiber AND ridiculously tasty. Confession… I usually eat the whole batch and usually don’t want to share.
Well, friends, enjoy eating this quick and easy edamame hummus. Also if you’re wanting to kick some unhealthy habits and develop some healthy ones instead, come join my health challenge. It’s very rewarding watching people have success and leave nasty habits behind. I hope to hear from you soon!
- 1 (15 oz can) organic garbanzo beans with liquid
- 16 oz frozen bag of organic shelled edamame, thawed
- 1/2 cup olive oil (add additional 1-2 Tbs for thinner consistency)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice or 1 large lemon (you can add another 1/4 cup to make it more lemony)
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 Tbs minced garlic
- 1 Tbs cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional if you want a little spice)
- Add ingredients in blender (I love my Vitamix!) in order listed. Blend on high for about 45 seconds until consistency is smooth. Serve either immediately or chilled with vegetables, chips, or spread on sandwich.