Breakfast is hands down my favorite meal. I can’t get enough of light and fluffy muffins, waffles, and pancakes. Last year, I started experimenting with fresh cranberries and created my Cranberry Orange Muffins and Chocolate Cranberry Muffins. Oh, I’ve missed fresh cranberries! They only make appearances during the winter so I’ve been anxiously scanning the produce aisles for their return… and at last, they’ve returned! Cranberries are pretty tart and sour on their own. However, when combined with citrus and a little sweetness, their flavor pops with tanginess.
Christmas will be here soon! Don’t panic. These Cranberry Orange Waffles will at least take care of your Christmas breakfast. You can make the batter early, refrigerate, and use within 3 days. This recipe will make a large batch in order to accommodate all those extra family and friends joining you on Christmas day. Like I said, if you have extra just keep it refrigerated and use it over the following few days. You won’t regret it!
Cranberry Orange Waffles
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 and 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 cups vanilla almond milk
- 2 oranges, peeled
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 cups fresh cranberries, washed
- In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, flaxseed meal, chia seeds, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix well.
- In a blender, add almond milk, oranges, and honey. Blend well. Pour mixture into dry ingredients and stir until moist.
- Coarsely chop cranberries in blender on lowest setting and add to batter. Fold in cranberries.
- Pour 1/2 to 3/4 cup of batter in heated waffle iron and bake until golden brown.