Hi there girls!
Okay today’s tutorial seems a little silly because it is so straightforward but because it is so simple I think it gets overlooked by bloggers. Today we are talking about having text links on your blog open in a new window/tab.
When someone is reading your blog and they click on a link they are being taken away from what they are currently reading. We need to be intentional about how they are leaving that page. Ask yourself if readers will be clicking away from your post to read another post on your blog (internal link) or are they clicking off your post to leave the site (external link)?
If the first scenario is true and they are “clicking around on your blog” then having the link open on the same tab is not biggie! Preferred actually!
But if we are dealing with the second scenario then the option to have the link open in a new tab becomes something that you should definitely consider. My personal opinion is that external links should open in a new window. But you may find people who say otherwise. It can vary for every situation and blog. But to me it only makes sense that you wouldn’t want to direct someone away from your blog. Do you agree?
So that brings me back to being intentional about how people are leaving when they click on a link.
I am going to go over how to have links open in a new window. There are 3 options >>>
1. If you are using Blogger >>> You just need to check mark the little box that says “Open this link in a new window.”
2. If you are using WordPress >>> You just need to check mark the little box that says “Open this link in a new window.”
3. If you are inserting an HTML code into a text/widget box you will need to add “target_”blank” right after you put the direct image code.
See… Super simple!! And I think very commonly overlooked!
Looking for more blogging tutorials?
- One Word Goal: The Celebration Shoppe
- One Word Goal: 30 Minute Crafts
- How to Offer A Free Printable On Your Blog
- How to Add Horizontal Featured Posts in Blogger
- Customize Block Quotes in Blogger
- Make Your Blog a .COM
- Add Your Instagram Photos to Your Blogger Sidebar
- A Beginners Guide to Blogger’s Template Designer