1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease baking sheet or cast iron pan.
2. Mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
3. Add 1/2 cup softened butter, 1 cup buttermilk and egg to the dry ingredients.
4. Flour work surface and knead dough. Work cheddar cheese into the bread while kneading.
5. Shape dough into a round shape and place on prepared pan.
6. Whisk together 1/4 cup of melted butter and remaining buttermilk. Brush top of loaf with mixture.
7. Sprinkle rosemary bits over the top of the bread.
8. Cut a large "x" into the top of the loaf.
9. Bake 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of the center clean. Check the bread every 15 minutes and brush with the butter/buttermilk mixture until done.