I know I mentioned it yesterday, but I was so excited to see all of the AMAZING projects that were shared in last week’s audition round. I can’t wait to get to know our 10 finalists a little bit better during the coming season.
Today you’ll get to know a little more about Justynn, from Creative Life Antics, who is sharing her HUGE memo and organization station tutorial. This project took second place in our Season 17 auditions. It’s pretty killer (yes, I did grow up in the 80’s).
Memo & Organization Station
Wow guys, I was really thrilled to find out that not only had I made it past auditions, but that my tutorial for my project would be featured here on SYTYC!! What an honor! Before I get too far into it, hello– my name is Justynn and I blog at Creative Life Antics!
To be completely honest, I had started working on a completely different project for my audition piece before I found out that there was a theme. Like I mentioned during the auditions when I was told the theme was “back to school,” I might have had a slight panic moment (or two). I don’t have kids (in my 20s) or really know anyone that has kids that are school age. Luckily, after a few days of freaking out, I figured that I could make something for a college student (that’s still back to school in my book!) I planned in my head to make this sweet, huge organizer– which was my first mistake, don’t plan in your head, write stuff down.
- (4) 1X4 8ft boards
- (3) 1×3 8ft boards
- (1) 2’x4′ pegboard piece
- (1) box of really long screws I think mine were over 2.5in
- I used my new Kreg Jig
- Chalkboard paint (already had)
- White Spray Paint (already had)
- Magnetic Calendar that I never used
- (1) Pack of 10″x10″ cork board squares
- short wide headed screws
- green craft paint
- Wood stain
And, lots of patienceâ€¦.
stuff to make magnets/ chalk/ pinsâ€¦ misc knick-knacksâ€¦
After getting all the supplies home the first step was to make the frame. I cut the 1x4s down to size and angled the ends at 45 degrees. After the cuts were made I laid all the pieces out to make sure they fit well (they didn’t, I’m apparently not a math major). Once they finally fit well I used a small drill bit to drill pilot holes for my screws. Using long skinny 2.5″ screws I screwed the frame together.
Once the frame was put together I needed to inset the braces. I remeasured and cut the 1x3s does to to the right sizes for each section. Since I had a set width for the calendar and knew that was the only section that HAD to be a certain size, it gave me a lot of play and leeway for the remainder of the sections. I used a kreg jig to drill pilot holes so the screws would be sunken in and not noticeable from the front. I now love the new tool and try to find every single use for it in all my future projects.
After the whole frame was complete I decided to stain it. I laid it out int he driveway to dry for a few hours and started to work on the panels & pegboard. The pegboard was cut to size, spray painted white and attached to the left side of the board. The first panel I made was the backing for the cork board. I used some pieces of masonite from a past project to make the panels. One of the other panels received four thin coats of chalkboard paint.
To add the cork I used 10″ square cork tiles (much more cost effective than buying a roll!). After adding the cork, I realized that it need something more to be school themed. I taped off the Michigan State “S” and a thin box outline.
Next I installed the magnetic calendar. It was one I had bought off Amazon a few years ago, never used and I just took it out of the frame it came it and repurposed for this project. Finally after the chalk paint was dry I installed the lower chalkboard panel. After a few days I “primed” the chalkboard by rubbing a piece all over and erasing off.
I used some letters found at my local craft store and magnets to make MSU magnets. I added pegs to the pegboard and wrapped some wire around small mason jars to make holders for pins, pens and chalk.
I’m really happy with how this board turned out. There was definitely a moment where I was ready to scrap the whole thing and come up with something new. Luckily though I had my boyfriend helping me (so I could get action shots) and was able to push through the whole project in two days. I actually just talked about it this past weekend with my sister who informed me that her roommates had all seen it during the auditions and were really excited to have it this year.
Thank you all so much for voting and I hope to be back here more with tutorials during Season 17!
Join me in congratulating Justynn for her first “win” of the season. I am looking forward to seeing more from her and hope you are too. In the meantime, I hope you will hop over to her site and check out a few of these fun projects…